Our starting points should be respect for our fellow human beings, respect and trust in people rather than refusing to give them the basic rights that all people deserve. Respect and trust are things to be lost, not gained.
“I sometimes allowed my competitiveness to get in the way of my integrity” Quote from Australian Sportsperson There is a strong argument that integrity is one of the most misunderstood concepts in life and in business. Many people equate integrity with honesty. So many organisations have as one of their values “we will be honest [...]
I kicked a 40kg coffee table one time…with my little toe…actually experiencing your threshold assists you to understand pain. You could be such an inspiration to others as they see you, as a leader, feel, deal and learn from the pain
Social media creates the opportunities for associations to implement their actions, not just their communications. Why communicate when they can “do” in such a public fashion that the communication effect is multiplied exponentially? They are failing to use the power of multifaceted relationships and not getting the benefits they should out of social media.
All relationships are based on communications, but you don’t just tell things to people, you also listen to them. You do this in your personal and social life, you must do it in your professional life as well. Many organisations are terrible listeners because they confuse the need to listen with the action of failing to take decisions or the perception of lack of leadership. Great leaders listen.
Putting all of your communications into the marketing category is running the risk of focusing on product to the detriment of relationships and reputation external to the product.
We accept media stories at face value until they are challenged by someone “in the know” or who we have a relationship with. Once challenged, we tend to favour the new version of the story because we know that “media world” is a mythical place, not the community in which we live. Short term stories rarely do the damage we believe, and are usually made ineffective by a quick, straightforward response. The real impact is on those who are the focus of the story, not the broader community.
Your employees do a lot of your external communication, relationship building and reputation creation. And they are very, very credible. They are in essence similar to every other stakeholder and need to hear the same things and be heard in similar ways. If as CEO you want to create relationships with your employees (and you do or you wouldn’t be in this position!) then you should really communicate with them in the same vein as every other stakeholder. The tools may be different, but the values, themes, relationships and reputation effects are the same.
- RT @HealthSparx: This week a guest from #Australia! @jasonbereklewis joins me to chat about his #health #tech #blog @healthystartups 03:09:32 PM May 21, 2013
- RT @channelxoxo: #PRETAIL – why crowdfunding platforms are the new shopping malls & what that means for you http://t.co/0vTNNipNDW via … 08:39:14 PM May 08, 2013
- Challenging: thoughts? RT @advancewomen: Women have legitimate place at leadership table – they just fail to notice! http://t.co/MsBr7A4qJ8 01:56:34 PM May 03, 2013
- Toyota, Radical Management & Corporate Growing Pains 20. Oct, 2010
- Business perfection is futile 04. Oct, 2010
- Associations and Member based organisations – A new way? 01. Sep, 2010
- Integrity – a hallmark of leadership 01. Oct, 2010
- Introducing Radical Management to ACPSEM 16. Jan, 2012
- The real meaning of growth 05. Apr, 2013
- Outsourcing and Offshoring in the Asian Century 29. Mar, 2013
- Plausible Deniability 101: lessons in avoiding accountability 23. Aug, 2012
- The Treatment of Doing Nothing 12. Aug, 2012
- The Value of Time Out 01. May, 2012
- Geoff Barbaro: Deb, thanks very much for the thoughts and for the...
- Deborah Hartmann Preuss: We used the Journey Line from Lyssa Adkin's book o...
- Mike Lyle: Well done Michelle. An excellent capture of where ...
- Randolph Gaufusi: I thank you for your post. It has the best rundown...
- golfingpackages uk: +1. Noted and Stumbled....
- Will social media transform business? « rmediasocialite on Associations and Member based organisations – A new way?
- Geoff Barbaro on Introducing Radical Management to ACPSEM
- Deborah Hartmann Preuss on Introducing Radical Management to ACPSEM
- Mike Lyle on The scourge of Australia
- Randolph Gaufusi on Fauxrealism